28 Kasım 2015 Cumartesi

Reflection Task 2a

I want to tell about the news: “The Guerrilla Girls, After 3 Decades, Still Rattling Art World Cages” by New York Times. The Guerrilla Girls is a founding by some anomalist women for about thirty years. This activist, feminist art collective fights against gender inequality in the art world. Why I chose that article has three main reasons. First reason is the fact that I do agree with the Guerrilla Girls in that most of the past women artists were not valued as they deserved. Their art works were great, but; just because they were women, their works were not regarded as valuable. To illustrate, according to the news, in 1984 Museum of Modern Arts staged a major exhibition with hundreds of artists, however; only a few of them were women or artists of color. I think such things in the art world are big mistakes because everyone should know that the art has no gender or race. Another reason is that I admire the Guerrilla Girls for their founding. I think this founding is really necessary to draw attention to the inequality in the art world. There were other foundings established for this aim in the past, too. Nevertheless, this is the almost most prominent one because their protests are brave and clever. They raise awareness of people. To exemplify, Cindy Sherman, artist, says “I remember all their posters in So Ho, seeing them everywhere. It just opened my eyes more and more to being aware of how museums show fewer women. I definitely see that they’ve had influence in the art world, but it still has a way to go.” Lastly, I appreciate that the Guerrilla Girls wear gorilla masks, keep their identities a secret, and take names of dead women artists. I appreciate that as they do it in order to take attention and keep those women artists’ memories alive. Besides, in that way they can have the freedom of speaking up more easily. To conclude, because the art is a part of culture, and the culture comprises everyone, we should not let the art to be dedicated to only a one gender or race. Consequently, I think we should support Guerrilla Girls as this founding is a successful example of raising voice against such inequalities.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder