14 Kasım 2015 Cumartesi

Free Reflection Task 1

        I would like to write about the article: “What is Education For” by David Orr. It simply tells six wrong beliefs about the bases of modern education, and six new keynotes to alter them. Actually there are many points that I agree with the author. First of all, according to this article, that the purpose of education is giving you the means for upward mobility and success is a wrong belief, and I think so, too. To exemplify, when we ask some primary school children what they think about the purpose of education, they generally just say “being successful and having a good job.” They think education is only related to schooling or work life. However, it should not be in this way. We all must be aware that education needs little to do with success. Secondly, the author suggests that today there is a rapid increase of data, words and paper, but this explosion should not be taken for an increase in knowledge and wisdom. I believe that is a very important point. Owing to the circumstances of this era, we all use these things heavily for a subject matter, but this situation is not a sign of good education. We need to use them because we live in an environment that requires this. Also, it should be clear that the goal of education is not mastery of subject mastery but of one’s person. Apart from all these, this article has many benefits that assist me. One of them is that it helped me about how I criticize my educational life in a right and useful way. Also, this article is beneficial for other people in terms of understanding what education is for and what education must be for. It can broaden one’s horizon. All in all, considering the relevance of the article to our daily life, I think not only academicians but also everyone who wants to get correct and useful information about education should read this article. 

1 yorum:

  1. Hi Funda :)
    I read your reflection and I liked your reflection on the whole.I think all of the opinions you explained in your reflection are completely true. As to the content of your reflection, it is very rich.You are good at explaining your thoughts. You has given a lot of examples. Besides, you have used some collocations very skillfully. On the other hand, your reflection is quite informative. Actually, I really want to read the article you mentioned. I think you should have shared the link of the article, so everybody has an opportunity to read the article.Generally, it is a smooth reflection. Thank you for your sharing :)

    YanıtlaSil